expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Monday, August 17, 2015

Slope- Stained Glass Window Project

This past year I had a group of math students who really loved to be creative and especially loved to color!  

So, when we were learning about slope in class I wanted some kind of creative project for my students to do where they could show their knowledge in a way that was more creative than a worksheet or quiz!

I searched around on the internet and Pinterest, and saw several versions of the slope stained glass window project, but none of them really fit the specific needs I had for my class.  

So...I made my own version of this project so I could include everything I needed,  and it is now in my Teachers Pay Teachers store!


In this project students had to choose several linear equations from a list and create a table of values that they plugged in to the equations to create x and y coordinates for each line.

They also determined the slope of each line, whether the slope was positive, negative, zero or undefined, and x and/or y intercepts.

Then they had to graph the lines on graph paper.  Each line needed to be labeled with the corresponding equation.

Bring on the colors!  I gave my students free range on what they used to add color to their design.  Crayons, colored pencils, markers, chalk....anything they wanted.  I encouraged them to put together a nice color scheme to make their final product visually appealing.

I created a 4 point rubric to grade the finished projects.  The kids had this rubric right away, so they knew exactly what they needed to do to get the highest grade.  I also a couple examples and had them use the rubric to determine a grade for each project.  I have found that giving the students a rubric and having them apply it to a sample project really helps them to see what high quality work looks like.


My class LOVED this project!  Here are some of their finished projects!





I love doing projects with my math students!  Giving students another way to show what they know and actually apply the skills to a project (not just a worksheet) really hooks my students interest!

If you like this project, it is available in my Teachers Pay Teachers store!

18 comments:

  1. How am i supposed to check if its right without an answer key

    ReplyDelete
  2. how do you get anser key

    ReplyDelete
  3. fuck you for creating this you stupid fucking bitch you are the single and only goddamn reason my math grade is lower than an A+ you stuipd whore burn in hell

    ReplyDelete
  4. does anyone know where there is an answer key i really need it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. how can there be an answer key when you're picking your own equations?

      Delete
  5. What awful words used towards this teacher/creator. I thank her for creating this project, as I have to do it. Why would there be an answer key for this assignment, if you were good at this math you would not need it marked, and have done the reverse check on your work to make sure you were correct. If your teacher who assigned the work was a smart teacher he/she would have marked it for you. Way to hide behind ANONYMOUS, karma will get you!

    ReplyDelete