expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, January 11, 2015

20 Book Reading Challenge

Winter break is over.
We are in the middle of a cold spell.
It has been cloudy almost every day.

My kids need some MOTIVATION!

I altered an idea I found in the book The Book Whisperer by Donalyn Miller.  She has a plan where she requires her students to read a certain number of books, and a certain number of each genre.


I thought about my class, and the fact that the year is half over, and I came up with....




Each student is challenged to read 20 book between now and the end of the year.  Within that 20, they need to read 2 historical fiction, 2 fantasy, 2 science fiction, 2 realistic fiction, 2 mystery, 
2 biography/autobiography and 8 additional books of their choice.

Let me tell you, there is nothing like giving kids a challenge to get them pumped up about doing something.  

My class immediatly started asking questions:
"When can we start?"
"Can I read....?"
"Can I read more than 20 books?"

To add to the excitement, I announced that everyone who completes the challenge will be invited to my reading pizza party at the end of the year.  Whoa!  A challenge + a pizza reward = motivated kiddos!

If you would like to try this challenge in your classroom, head over to my Teachers Pay Teachers shop to download a free copy of the book recording sheet with all the requirements.




Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment